RELATE: Relationship Education Leading Adolescents Toward Empowerment is a high school relationship education curriculum developed by young people and adults working together that helps to prevent sexual violence among teens through the promotion of healthy relationships. Through RELATE, youth are trained on the topic and then facilitate the 5 sessions for their peers. RELATE increases awareness for both males and females of what constitutes sexual harassment, produces positive changes in knowledge of sexual violence myths and warning signs of abuse,
and increases awareness of the indicators of sexual harassment.
After participating in RELATE participants report that they:
- Are more likely to recognize victims of sexual assault are usually attacked by intimate partners
- Recognize that teenagers represent a high percentage of sexual violence
- Recognize that assertive techniques are the best way to prevent harassment
- Are aware of behaviors that constitute sexual harassment
- Are aware of signs of unhealthy relationships